Monday, March 13, 2006

My Gracious Acceptance Speech

Thank you. (pause for applause to subside) Thank you very much for this award for Best Dinner Ever. I will cherish it and use it for inspiration on those dull afternoons when I cannot think of anything to cook for dinner.

I'd like to thank my family who nominated me for this award. (blow kisses) I appreciate their enthusiasm for all three dishes (pause) and the food in those dishes. (pause..laughter subsides) Thank you sweet husband and children; I love you and wish to feed you healthy, delicious food.

I'd also like to thank the farmers who raised the sweet potatoes and green beans. Your dedication to small farm life and organic non-chemical growing make our world a better place and our food was delicious. Thanks also to Nigella Lawson for the Green Bean (not really a casserole) Casserole recipe. The quick boiling of the beans left them slightly crisp and the toss with butter and lemon gave them a silky finish with a fresh bite. While I used no recipe for the baked sweet potatoes, I give thanks to Alton Brown for his confirmation that baked potatoes need nothing more than a swipe of olive oil (and maybe a sprinkling of salt) to showcase their amazing flavour and texture.

Finally, I'd like to thank the fisherpeople and merchants who caught, cleaned, and sold the char. I an grateful for the omega 3 fatty acids and other heart friendly benefits of this delicious fish and I am especially grateful that my husband loves char since he does not care for salmon.

Thank you again for this award. I will try to cook to these high standards more often.

No comments: